Located on the land of "Batges", a gravelly hillock overlooking the Gironde estuary, its history begins in the 17th century when it was owned by Thomas Lynch, a Bordeaux merchant of Irish origin. It was at that time called the "Lynch cru" and remained in the family until 1824.
In 1855, the Château Lynch-Bages obtained the title of Fifth Grand Cru Classé in the famous classification of Médoc wines for the Paris World Fair.
His modern history has been written by the Cazes family, which still owns it. In 1939, Jean-Charles Cazes, who already owned Château Les Ormes de Pez at Saint-Estèphe, bought Domaine and breathed new life into it by raising its standard. When he died in 1972, his grandson Jean-Michel Cazes took over the reins and gradually, thanks to numerous technical renovations and by surrounding himself with the right people, he was able to produce a wine on a par with the great Pauillac. Since 2006, it is his son Jean-Charles who manages it, always with one objective in mind, that of producing the most precise wines possible, marked with the imprint of the Cazes.
The Château Lynch-Bages vineyard today covers a 100-hectare vineyard, whose grape variety is 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. The wines are aged for 18 months in French oak barrels of which 70% are new.
One Second wine is produced by the property, Echo de Lynch-Bages.
The Château Lynch-Bages produces powerful and complex wines born of precision viticulture. Wines built for aging and that improve admirably with the passage of years.