It was in 1729 that Nicolas Ruinart founded the House that bears his name. It was the foundation of the first of Champagne in this very early eighteenth century, this century of the Enlightenment when the Court of France shines throughout the world known and recognized for its art of living and also its knowledge of wines initiated by King Louis XIV, an admirer among others of the Tokaj wines of Hungary.
Nicolas Ruinart is the son of a Drapier of the region of Champagne, where the famous Troyes Fair is held, crossroads of all trades including that of Aÿ wines, which will be called later in the nineteenth century Wine of Champagne.
He was also the nephew of Dom Thierry Ruinart, a Benedictine monk, who was born in 1657 and died in 1709 in the Abbey of Hautvillers in Champagne precisely where he initiated and discovered with Dom Pérignon the Secrets of Champagnisation.
Dom Ruinart, from the Nobility, is a visionary, an author, a scholar who also worked alongside Dom Mabillon in the Abbey of Saint Germain des Prés. Dom Ruinard was close to the Court, its social life and its fads and its art of living. From there to transmit his erudition and his intuitions for Champagne wine to his nephew, it did not take more to invite Nicolas Ruinard to found his House.