It was in 1734 that Jacques Fourneaux created a wine trading house of Champagne because he worked with the great Benedictine abbeys that were then the owners of the most beautiful vineyards in Champagne.
Jacques Fourneaux began this activity in Reims by marketing still wines of Champagne red or white and then sparkling wines from these magnificent vineyards.
He is the third in the history of Champagne to go into the wine trade. The Fourneaux joined forces in the 1820s with Antoine Forest. Very quickly the new business prospered under the name Forest-Fourneaux.
It occupied for a time the hotel le Vergeur in "Reims" before transferring, after the First World War, its activity rue de Tambour in the XIIIth century residence of the Counts of Champagne.
It was in 1932 that Pierre Taittinger acquired from the House of Champagne Forest-Fourneaux the Château of La Marquetterie near Epernay. From 1945 to 1960 the house was managed by François Taittinger helped by his two brothers Jean and Claude and it is at this time that the house was established in the cellars of the Saint-Nicaise abbey, built in the 13th century on Gallo-Roman chalk pits dating from the 4th century. Then in 1960, Claude Taittinger will direct and give considerable impetus to this House.
After difficult times within the Group to restructure the Capital in the years 2005-2006, it is Pierre -Emmanuel Taittinger, a third generation who takes up the torch helped for some years by his two children Clovis and Vitalie, a fourth generation to write the future.
The vineyard of the House Taittinger covers about 300 hectares for a production of about 6 million bottles.