In 1857, with the wool trade going through a crisis, Mr. Pommery turned to the Champagne wine business to ensure his daughter's future. He dies one year later in February 1858. What happened next is known: his young widow took the reins of the House and led the house to success and gLoire.
Louise Pommery married Guy de Polignac in 1875. This branch of the Polignac remained the owner of the House until the late 1980s, when the House passed through the hands of different groups to end up nowadays with the Vranken group.
Domaine Pommery: Ten years of work, begun in 1868, were necessary for the realization of this Elizabethan style work.
A superb staircase of 116 steps provides access, 30 meters underground, to a veritable underground cathedral: the cellars Pommery built on ancient chalk pits dug by the Gallo-Romans 2000 years ago. Each of the galleries in the cellars is named by Madame Pommery in homage to her clients from all over the world.
The cellars now house 20 million bottles, among which are the oldest vintages of the House, extremely Rares, preserved within the oenotheque.
The Pommery park was created in 1910 with Edouard Redont as the landscape architect to provide light to the immense cellars.